Gigs and tours speak to Born Ruffians

Following the release of their acclaimed second album Say It earlier this year, Toronto’s Born Ruffians return to the UK for a run of headline shows and wuill be coming to Manchester Ruby Lounge tomorrow night (Sat 20th November). We got the chance to catch up with them before the shows starting next week and what fans can expect from the tour.

What are you up to at this moment?
I am in Montreal about to eat a chicken pie. There's extremely loud construction going on outside my apartment with the biggest jackhammer I've ever seen in my life. I'm trying to listen to calming music to combat the noises outside.

You’re touring soon, what can the audience expect? Any surprises in the pipeline?
No, but if we had surprises I couldn't tell you about them here because then they'd cease to be surprises.

Will you be playing any new material or a mixture of your back catalogue?
We'll be playing a pretty even mix from "Red, Yellow & Blue" and "Say It" occasionally dipping into material off our self titled e.p. from 2006. I'm writing a lot of songs right now though that will likely end up on our next record. They're too new to be performed right now but we're definitely excited to get working on a new record a.s.a.p.

What is your favourite song to perform live?
It changes nightly depending on my mood. Sometimes I prefer the simples ones like "Hedonistic Me" because they're nice and easy going. Sometimes I like the intense energy and concentration required to play songs like "Nova-Leigh." I don't know what determines my pain or pleasure with songs, it seems a bit randomn. Some nights the audience can go berserk for a song and I'll be in my head thinking "really??? hmm."

Who has released a stand out album this year?
These are what come to mind:
Caribou - Swim
Matthew Dear - Black City
Kanye West's free "G.O.O.D. Fridays" stuff
Four Tet - There is Love In You
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
Beach House - Teen Dream
Arial Pinks - Before Today

Which song do you wish you had written?
Young Americans by David Bowie.

Plans for the rest of the year?
We're over the Atlantic for 3 weeks in England, Scotland, France, Holland, Germany and Belgium. Then we're home for Christmas during which time I must pack up my apartment into boxes and move it into storage units. Just after Christmas we leave for Australia where we'll be playing some shows. I'm going to stay in that part of the world until March. I plan to visit Cambodia and spend time in Melbourne hanging out and writing music.

If you were to send someone to prison for crimes against music, who would it be?
My mother said to never bad mouth other musicians in interviews. There's a lot of bad music right now that's very popular but will be forgotten with a little time and that's punishment enough for the poor talentless saps.

Whats your favourite animal and why?
When I was a young boy it was hands down the cheetah because it was so fast and cool. I think it's still the cheetah because recently I visited a museum and nearly had an excitement fit over a stuffed one.


Dont miss your chance to see Born Ruffians live tickets are £8 and are onsale now at ww.gigsandtours.com

Labels: