Q&A || PROTOJE



Following his sold out show at London's Electric Brixton where he headlined the Ram Jam series with legendary David Rodigan, Protoje is set to return to the UK in October with his Ancient Future tour. Renowned for his high energy live performances with his incredible live band The Indiggnation, they will perform across seven major cities. We had a chat with Protoje to find out more on his new album, UK tour and his top tracks to listen to on the road.

Firstly tell us about your journey into music as you come from a very musical family?
I started to write music because I wanted to express myself. Music was the way I could communicate to people. I used to see my parents on stage and I always wanted to be doing something like that eventually. I felt real comfortable up there.

Your collaboration with Chronixx on the track Who Knows, was a massive hit and one of the biggest reggae songs last year. How did the link-up come about?
When Chronixx was just starting out he reached out and we started to link. We always spoke about doing something together, but in the right timing. When we eventually came together to collaborate, the timing felt right and Who Knows was the song. We thought it could really make an impact for our generation of reggae and give thanks for the response it continues to receive.


What are your views on the cultural movement ‘Reggae Revival’?
I always wanted to be a part of something special with music, a part of a larger whole, and I feel like I'm in good company doing music. It inspires me to work harder and raise the level of music I’m putting out. I really feel good about the number of artists out there that inspire me making Jamaican music.

You’ve announced a UK tour for October 2015 where you will be performing across seven major cities. Are you looking forward to this?
Yes, the UK is always part of my focus. It's very important to me. It is a place I respect highly for music. For my music to resonate there would be great. When we tour in Europe, English is often the second language for many countries. It's interesting to see the difference in response when English is the first language.

Your shows are always full of high energy positive vibes, what can we expect from the tour?
Right now we have been on the road for two-months, so we are in a groove and the whole sound is in a really good place. It's a very authentic sound. We're bringing something fresh, armed with the Ancient Future and some big tunes.

How long have you been playing with your band The Indiggnation?
Five years.

Tell us about your new album Ancient Future, how does this differ from your last two releases?
I really wanted to just write what was on my mind, what I was feeling... More internal thoughts and see how that could inspire people. Sonically, I wanted it to feel like the 80's but still futuristic. This is the first time I've gotten that to really work - where every sound involved was made specifically for the album.

What will you be listening to on tour?
Check out my 'Tracks on Tour' playlist below or click HERE.
 


Have you got any messages for your fans?
I always want to thank my fans for the support they have been giving me and my music. I really appreciate it. I look forward to playing the music in front of them and hope to see them at an upcoming show!

Protoje brings his Ancient Future tour to the UK in October, tickets are on sale now and available HERE.